The Robert C. Byrd Honors Scholarship has been funding the college education of exemplary students since 1985. Unfortunately, due to budget cuts in federal funding, the program received no funding for the academic year 2012.1

Before appropriation was eliminated, the California Student Aid Commission was able to award $5,181,000 in scholarships under the Robert C. Byrd Honors Scholarship in 2011. The Commission is waiting to be updated on any development and all existing applications are placed on hold until further notice.

What is it?

  • This is a federally funded and state administered scholarship program that distinguish graduating high school students who show strong academic promise and deserve a scholarship while in pursuit of a higher education.
  • It is a renewable scholarship that is largely based on academic merit. Scholars can enjoy the award for not more than eight semesters.
  • The Robert C. Byrd Honors Scholarship accepts its candidates by a nomination process delegated to high school coordinators.

Who is eligible?

High School graduates must satisfy the following criteria to be considered:

  • Received high school diploma from private or public school or its equivalent from a recognized secondary institution.
  • Must enroll and attend any post secondary institution on a full time basis.
  • Must be a legal resident of the state of California.
  • Must be a U.S. Citizen OR an eligible non-citizen.
  • Must have registered with the Selective Service system if required.
  • Must submit a “ Certification from ED80-0016” attesting that applicant is not a delinquent or in default on a federal scholarship or educational loan.

How much aid is available?

Each scholar is awarded $1,500 a year for up to four years. The state of California leaves the right to the secondary institutions to choose the two best candidates from their school.

How do I apply?

Students who have complied with the eligibility requirements must apply for the scholarship through their high school counselor which in turn will forward the application to the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC). An eligible student who is not currently attending a high school must send the requirements directly to the CSAC.

Where do I get an application?

Application forms are made available to the high school and qualified graduating students must request and submit completed forms to their high school for submission.

Is there a deadline?

All requirements must be submitted before April 1 to the California Student Aid Commission.


  1. Source: California Student Aid Commission []

Last updated: March 28, 2012 by & filed under College Scholarships

Subscribe to Single Mom's News, Special Deals & Giveaways