Financial Help for Single Mothers in Massachusetts

A great deal of state resources are available in Massachusetts that benefits single mothers. This is in line with the government’s thrust to alleviate their living conditions and help them cope with the stress of single parenting.

There are many aspects in the lives of single moms that Massachusetts tries to impact on. From their education to the day-to-day struggle of answering their basic needs, single women are on the priority list of the state government.

Educational Grants

For starters, Massachusetts encourages single mothers to pursue college degrees to open themselves up to better employment opportunities. Through federal-funded grants, the state government identifies qualified students who can enroll in local colleges and universities.

They can choose from different courses which they think will increase their chances of a landing a better paying job. Aside from the grant, scholarships for single mothers are also available from local academic institutions.

Childcare Assistance

Kids who are too young for school can get in the way of single moms eking out a living. Although there may be child care services, quality ones are often too expensive for their meager income. The state of Massachusetts offers a subsidy program to help working single moms and those searching for employment afford child care.

Under the Income-eligible Child Care Program, they may receive financial assistance in the form of subsidized child care1. Through this, they can save enough for other household needs and put their money on more important issues.

Nutritional Assistance

The scarcity of food in the house is a big concern for single moms who need to feed her brood. Lack of this basic necessity can have a lot of impact their lives as a family. Food programs such as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Programs (SNAP) are implemented by the state government as well as WIC.

Under SNAP, qualified single moms and low income families receive assistance through a debit card. This is used to purchase food supplies and other important grocery items for their use. The WIC, on the other hand, is extended to pregnant women and mothers with children under the age of five.

Massachusetts also participates in the Transitional Aid to Families with Dependent Children (TAFDC) program2. It is similar to SNAP in the manner of extending cash assistance and health insurance to needy single-parent families. But the cash awarded can be used to purchase items other than food. Beneficiaries can buy supplies and other household items


  1. Depending on where you live, you may be placed on a waiting list until there is an available opening. Call 617-988-6600 for more info. []
  2. To apply for TAFDC, you should call or visit your local Department of Transitional Assistance (DTA) office. See the DTA’s list of DTA Office Locations, or call 1-800-249-2007 for more information. []