The Gorgas Scholarship Program is named after Gen. William Crawford Gorgas who is from Alabama and has been widely praised for his contributions to medical science.
Alabama Power Foundation Inc. sponsors the scholarship while the Alabama Academy of Science Inc. administers the search for exceptional students in the field of science.1
What is it?
- The Gorgas Scholarship program is a prestigious research competition that is open only to graduating high school students.
- It is a non-renewable privately funded academic scholarship.
- 18 Colleges and Universities in Alabama value the remarkable screening process of the program that awardees are offered additional scholarships upon enrolment to their institution.
- It gives priority to the field of science and invitations are extended to all Alabama residents who may be living in or out of the state.
Who is eligible?
The search is open only to graduating High School students who can comply with all of the following criteria:
- Has individually completed an original scientific research.
- Can provide written proof from the high school that the applicant will take College Entrance Examinations within the year.
- Must be highly committed to attend all events required by the Academy.
How much aid is available?
The program awards over $10,000 worth of scholarship grants to the winning students.
How do I apply?
- A printed copy of the scientific research paper including application forms must be directly submitted to the Gorgas Committee Chair.
- Another electronic copy of the research paper must also be forwarded to the e-mail address of the committee chair.
- A recommendation form completed by a teacher or sponsor must also be submitted along with another from the supervising scientist.
Where do I get an application?
Application forms are available for download at www.gorgasscholar.org.