This is an exceptional progressive assistance academic program funded by the federal government. It aims to spark the learning interests of young high school students by encouraging them to join activities that focus on their studies.
In return, the scholarship program rewards the students with continued financial assistance until completion of an undergraduate degree from an affiliate college institution in the state of Alaska.
What is it?
- This is a need-based scholarship program but gives special attention to young high school protégées.
- The award is renewable for up to four-years and does not need to be repaid.
Who is eligible?
The scholarship is extended to senior high school students that:
- Has been a part of the Gear UP Alaska program since the 6th grade.
- Does not exceed the age of 22 years old upon submission of all requirements.
- Comes from any of the 14 school districts connected with the program.
How much aid is available?
The program awards up to $7,000 per annum for full-time scholars and $3,500 for part-time qualifiers.
How do I apply?
Along with a copy of High School Diploma or GED, applicants are also expected to submit the following:
- Completed Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) application.
- Student Aid Report.
- A copy of Federal Income Tax from a Parent or Legal Guardian.
- Proof of participation in previous Gear UP programs.
Where do I get an application?
Application forms are available for download at www.fafsa.ed.gov
Is there a deadline?
Gear UP requirements must be completed before May 31st each year. For other requirements and additional information, please visit EED’s GEAR UP Alaska.
The GEAR UP Alaska Scholarship was funded by a federal grant, which has been exhausted; therefore, it is anticipated that no new awards will be made for the 2011/2012 academic year.