This is a newly established merit-based scholarship program that puts a strong emphasis on the quality of education in Alaska. It exposes the Alaskan youth to an early and upgraded level of learning with the commitment of achieving a better future.
The Alaska Performance Scholarship is an initiative well admired by students, parents and educators alike and is expected to continuously ease the burden in higher education across the state.
What is it?
- The Alaska Performance scholarship is a renewable academic program that requires a unified effort between schools and its students in accomplishing the minimum set of standards.
- It is awarded to in-state residents only and can be used to aid education in any qualified college in Alaska or in any career and technical education (CTE) program.
Who is eligible?
Applicants must be high school graduates from a public, private or home school in Alaska and who can satisfy all of the following:
- Completes an intensified High School academic course.
- Earns a MINIMUM score in GPA, ACT, SAT or WorkKeys.
- Attends an eligible program in any qualifying post-secondary institution in the state.
- Has qualifying unmet costs of attendance after all non-loan aid has been applied.
- Has not exhausted the number of semesters awarded (8 semesters or 4-years).
How much aid is available?
There are 3 levels of APS award and are awarded every year for a maximum of 8 semesters. Each level has a required grade but grants the following amounts:
Level 1: $4,755
Level 2: $3,566
Level 3: $2,378
How do I apply?
- Comply with eligibility requirements.
- Annually complete Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or its alternative from Alaska Student Aid Portal (ASAP).
Where do I get an application?
Alaska Performance Scholarships is applied through FAFSA at www.fafsa.ed.gov.
Is there a deadline?
To become considered, complete your FAFSA every 30th of June each year. Qualified home-schooled students must immediately contact the Department of Education & Early Development for compliance of all other necessary requirements.